Tyronia M. Smith
Overview And Experience
Attorney Tyronia (Ty) M. Smith is the Managing Partner at Chester Jennings & Smith. Ty is a skilled lawyer and a strategic legal counsel, whose practice focuses primarily on bankruptcy, business litigation, and personal injury.
After graduating from high school at the top of her class, Ty attended Wake Forest University and obtained her Bachelor of Science degree in Business in May of 2001. In August of 2001, Ty enrolled in law school at Wake Forest University School of Law, a Top 25 nationally ranked law school. During law school, Ty excelled academically, obtained summer associate positions at three prestigious law firms and became the first African American woman to win the Stanley Moot Court Competition. In 2004, Ty received her Juris Doctorate degree and was selected as a member of the National Order of Barristers for her oral advocacy skills.
After graduating from law school, Ty practiced law for nearly a decade at Parker, Hudson, Rainer & Dobbs LLP where she gained significant legal experience in, among other things, bankruptcy and creditor rights, DIP and exit financing, asset analysis, commercial and contract disputes, distressed mergers and acquisitions, landlord-tenant disputes, and collections.
Ty has been an active leader in several professional organizations. Among other leadership roles, Ty serves as a member of the American Bar Association’s 560-member House of Delegates, the Vice Coordinator of the Membership Board for the ABA Young Lawyers Division and a member of the Board of Directors for the Young Lawyers Division for the State Bar of Georgia. For her unyielding commitment to the legal profession, Ty has been awarded the GA YLD’s Public Service Award, a Star of the Quarter Award from the ABA, and the Seventh Annual Ethics & Professionalism Award from the GA YLD.Â In 2013, Ty received the national Rosner & Rosner Young Lawyers Professionalism Award during the ABA Annual Meeting.
While Ty’s commitment to the legal profession is unfaltering, she is just as dedicated to serving the community in general. Ty has served as a Director for Beacon of Hope, Inc., a non-profit corporation, a legal advisor to her homeowner’s association, President and Treasurer of the Parent Teacher Organization at Legacy Christian Academy, secretary for the Local School Council at Deerwood Academy, and a Sunday School Teacher at Word of Faith Family Worship Cathedral.
- Wake Forest University, BS
- Wake Forest University, JD, Order of the Barristers, Moot Court Board
- Rosner & Rosner Young Lawyers Professionalism Award
- Seventh Annual Ethics & Professionalism Award
- GA YLD Award of Achievement for Public Service
- Star of the Quarter Award from ABA YLD
- Graduate of the GA YLD Leadership Academy, Class of 2007
- Member of the National Moot Court Team, Wake Forest University
- Distinguished Brief Award, Tulane Sports Law Competition
- Winner, Stanley Moot Court Competition, Wake Forest University
- 2nd Best Brief Award, Stanley Moot Court Competition, Wake Forest University
- CALI Award for Appellate Advocacy
- Bankruptcy and Creditors Rights
- Served as debtor’s counsel in Georgia, Alabama, and Delaware in Chapter 11 reorganization and liquidation cases.
- Represented credit card processor against claims for fraudulent transfer in bankruptcy courts across the United States.
- Defended creditors in numerous preference actions filed with respect to former customers in bankruptcy.
- Represented purchaser in the automotive industry with the 363 sales in a pre-packaged Chapter 11 case in Georgia.
- Represented a North Carolina bank in connection with the investigation and prosecution of claims arising from fraud perpetrated by a corporate debtor and its principals.
- Counsel to Corporate Clients
- Counsel upper management on intellectual property licensing, strategic business development, litigation, lease negotiations, employment issues, pension plan termination, and daily business operations.
- Assist in business negotiations by structuring, drafting, negotiating and advising on a wide range of legal agreements, including the formation of joint ventures or special purpose entities, lease agreement amendments, and product design and specifications.
- Facilitate settlement discussions with creditors over disputed claims.
- Manage outside counsel regarding non-bankruptcy litigation, employment issues, and licensing matters.
- Regularly represent small businesses, national banking associations and other entities in guaranty, leasing, and other contract disputes.
- Successful and efficient defense and resolution of numerous litigation claims for clients.
- Prosecuted foreclosure confirmation actions throughout Georgia.
- Obtained dismissal on behalf of a Fortune 500 company in an action seeking a declaratory judgment that the commercial tenant’s voluntary surrender of certain leased premises operated to terminate the 14-year lease, cutting off the landlord’s ability to collect over $800,000 in past-due rent.
- Prosecuted suits for the determination of the non-dischargeability of debts in the bankruptcy court.
- Prosecuted receivership actions throughout Georgia.
- Regularly represent clients interested in domesticating and collecting foreign judgments against individuals or entities with assets located in Georgia.
- Negotiated the settlement of a $14 million claim against a client, which resulted in a $350,000 cash payment to the client.
- Real Estate
- Regularly represented banks and financial institutions with the foreclosure of real property.
- Regularly represent owners with the renegotiation of defaulted commercial leases.
- Prosecute dispossessory or eviction actions throughout Georgia.
- Negotiated the resolution of a 3-year lease dispute that resulted in the commercial landlord recovering all past due rent, accrued interest and attorneys’ fees.
- Bankruptcy and Creditors Rights